Thursday, April 26, 2018

Bringing healing music to hospital patients' bedside

By the end of her 18 weeks of treatment, cancer survivor Lorie Matthews had spent 6-8 hours a day for a total of 84 hours in the chemotherapy center at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. 

                              


Lorie said:
"I was so blessed by an amazingly supportive community that cheered for me along the way.  I received encouraging words, personal visits, thoughtful gifts, flowers…and music.  
Live music, a bedside visit from someone I had never met, an unexpected advocate with the transcendent power to quiet the ever-present hum of monitors and chemo pumps.  A musician who believed that he could make my day better and was willing to invest in my healing. That visit from a KSO musician came at the half-way point of my 18–week chemo journey and became a reminder that I could get through this and that a whole community was believing, not just in me, but in every survivor the music touched."




The KSO's nationally recognized Music & Wellness Program uplifts the spirit of the patients who experience live music in hospital rooms, lobbies, chemo bays, and has been shown to aid in recovery and healing. Click here to find out more and to support the Music & Wellness Program.



The KSO is eligible to win a grant of $25,000 from the Gannett Foundation. To be considered, the KSO must raise $6,000 from crowdsourcing by May 11th.


The minimum donation is $10, and all donations must go through this CrowdRise link to be eligible. Thank you for helping spread the word. 



This post authored by the KSO Communications Dept.

No comments: