Monday, July 26, 2010

Christmas in July

I have a fair collection of holiday-themed recordings. I rarely listen to them at the traditional time of year, though. As a musician I am immersed in that particular genre from Thanksgiving through the New Year. No, I save my holiday music for July and August when the mere thought of stepping outside makes one start sweating. Listening to Bing Crosby croon about a White Christmas is a temporary reprieve, if only psychological, from the triple digit temperatures outside.

I freely admit that breaking out the carols in July is an unusual strategy for beating the heat. If it's a little too far out there for you, there are several other pieces of music centered around winter that might better fit the bill.

* Symphony #1 in g minor ("Winter Dreams") by Tchaikovsky
* Winter Bonfire op. 122 by Prokofiev
* Concerto in f minor, op. 8 no.4 (L'Invierno) by Vivaldi
* Cuatro estaciónes porteñas (The Four Seasons), tango cycle Winter in Buenos Aires (Invierno porteño) by Piazzolla
* Wintereisse by Schubert

No comments: