Thursday, September 14, 2017

Arts Educator Profile: teacher, violist, conductor Nina Mikos

Arts in Education week celebrates those making a difference through arts and music education in our community. Nina Mikos has been teaching in Maryville City Schools for 8 years and has been conducting with Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra for 4 years. She is most passionate about music education because it truly makes a difference in children's lives by fostering creativity, discipline, and social interaction.

Ever since the moment I played my viola for the first time, music has been at the center of my life. I was very fortunate to have incredible orchestra directors and private teachers in my community. Growing up, I was involved in as many musical groups as I could be whether it was orchestra, choir, or piano. Music became my identity and my source of inspiration.

As much as I have always enjoyed performing, I enjoy the human connection to music even more. The friends that I have made through music will last a lifetime. The students that I have
taught over the years have probably made a bigger impact on my life than I have on theirs. I started teaching private lessons when I was 15, and I have always felt strongly that to be a good performer, you have to be a good teacher, and to be a good teacher, you have to be a good performer. Because in the end, we are all working on the same skill sets and have the same drive to be successful.

"As much as I have always enjoyed performing, I enjoy the human connection to music even more. The friends that I have made through music will last a lifetime. The students that I have taught over the years have probably made a bigger impact on my life than I have on theirs."




Teaching has dramatically improved my playing, and performing has informed my teaching. I have
seen children grow in to young adults through the discipline, focus, and training that being in an
orchestra gives them. I don’t believe in talent – I believe that every child can be successful in music
through hard work, persistence, and dedication. There’s always a “hook” to loving music for every
child. Some students thrive off of challenge, some love collaboration with peers, and others simply
enjoy the music-making process. But every child will continue if they feel successful. And it is my
job to make them successful from the very first note they play on their instrument.

I am so fortunate to be a part of a vibrant musical community in Knoxville. I have 140
students in my orchestra program (grades 5-7) at Montgomery Ridge Intermediate School in
Maryville, I have the tremendous honor of conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra with Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra, and I also often play viola with the Knoxville Symphony. I feel blessed beyond words to be a part of this wonderful community with amazing friends and colleagues.


This post was authored by the KSO Communications Dept.

No comments: