Tuesday, March 17, 2015

TOMORROW AND YESTERDAY

Hi, It's been a while, how are you? A lot of water has passed under the bridge since my last post, it's just a dizzying pace at which we proceed. I will offer a glimpse of what's coming up this Thursday and Friday nights at 7:30 at the Tennessee Theatre, but also a reflection on the last two weeks. 

My 200-something-year-old cello and I have been battling the forces of age and physics- and each other- to hammer out some sort of an agreement with the opening solo in Rossini's Overture to William Tell. One of the most famous solos in the literature, the cello starts with an e-minor arpeggio, (depicting a sunrise), and is soon joined by 4 more solo celli. But wait, here comes a B-7 arpeggio! All told, there are five arpeggios in the opening Andante. HOW MANY SUNS ARE GOING TO RISE!? WHAT PLANET ARE WE ON?! The last one ends on a note so high that only dogs can hear it. (I asked my dog Lucy if it's in tune, and she held out her paw, so I guess it was good). Directly, the violins start a wavering figure that signals a storm brewing, after which the English Horn plays a most amazing little idyllic solo that I'm pretty sure you will recognize from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The final “gallop” is famous for being the theme from The Lone Ranger, also known to some East Tennessee children as “the How.” (You know, “Hoooow Silver!!!!)”

Phew. After a visit to Mozart's Piano Concerto #25, (which we will rehearse Tuesday evening with Conrad Tao as soloist), guest maestro James Feddeck will lead us through a performance of the Symphony No. 3 of Felix Mendelssohn (the “Scottish”). My junior year in high school was quite forgettable, especially given that I received a D-minus in the most boring class I have ever taken, 18th-century British literature. The highlight of that course, though, came the day we watched a movie (yes, SUPER 8) about this very symphony. It contained dramatic views of the lochs and verdant moors found in the Scottish countryside, and the turbulent seas surrounding it. Mendelssohn's picturesque music grabbed my attention, and since then I have always looked forward to playing the work. 

------------------------------------*************************------------------------------------

Here's a look back at early March's doings and goings-on.


The Midtown Men were a kick! They made the scene and rocked the house this past Saturday night with a "boss" revue of 60's Pop. I sure never thought I would get to play Time of the Season by the Zombies! Here is their "selfie" with the Civic Auditorium audience...



Just a few days earlier, the KSO core strings joined forces with the Oak Ridge High School orchestra in a concert of music by Bach, Mozart, Holst, and Warlock. This shot is of the combined forces, their three ensembles (totaling more than 200 players!) and ours. 



No comments: