Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Circus is Coming!!!!

One of the best things about playing in the symphony is that I have to attend all the concerts. The programs we perform are hugely varied from small ensemble chamber music to full-scale symphonies to shows with world-renowned pops artists. Most of the time I feel like I have the best seat in the house - in the Tennessee Theater I probably have the best view of our pianist soloists of anyone in the entire house.

This week, though, I am insanely jealous of the audience. On Saturday we are performing a show entitled Cirque de la Symphonie. Acrobats, jugglers, contortionists and aerialists will be performing choreographed routines to live music. I'm really looking forward to the show but this is one where I wish I could be in the audience instead of on stage playing. Our playlist is hit after hit: Dvorak Slavonic Dances, Saint-Saens Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah, Dance of the Swans from Swan Lake, Les Toreadors from Carmen, Bolero, etc, etc, etc. This concert is going to be a fun one to play, which is my consolation for not being able to watch the performers the whole time. The KSO has a preview video of the show in it's main webpage and there are many others available on youtube. The musician buzz about this concert has been huge. Friends in other symphonies who have played the show say it is one of the best pops concerts they have ever performed.

If you would like to attend this concert, I highly recommend calling to reserve tickets ASAP. As of yesterday there were only 50 seats left.

No comments: