Monday, March 15, 2010

Music for Relaxation

I had a terrible weekend. Usually I can look at things and keep perspective. Once the dust settles on a situation I tend to be a "lets make some lemonade!" kind of girl. Right now I have enough lemons to open a lemonade factory. It wasn't all doom and gloom, though. The pops concert on Saturday was a nice reprieve. (Didn't I tell you it would be a great concert?!) Yesterday afternoon, though, I needed a break. So I turned out the lights and turned on some music.

I'm not a big fan of those "Music for Relaxation" CD's. Listening to Bach's Air on the G String with crickets chirping in the background is just not that relaxing to me. When I want to relax I turn to a variety of music. Yesterday I put on a recording of Erik Satie's Gymnopedies and Gnossiennes for piano. Satie was a French composer and pianist who was writing music in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Gymnopedies are his most famous compositions. Written originally for solo piano they have been transcribed for nearly every instrumental combination conceivable from solo instrument with piano to rock band. The pieces are melodically simple with sparse harmonies. The ease and flow of the music is mesmerizing. As I listened to the pieces yesterday I could actually feel the tension leaving my body. It was like having a brain massage. Of course, music didn't reverse my bad weekend. It did put me in a much better humor to deal with things, though.

If you haven't heard any music by Satie, you owe it to yourself to look him up.

No comments: