Monday, January 12, 2009

Blogger's Night!

This Thursday is Blogger's Night at the KSO. The symphony has invited area bloggers to attend Thursday night's Masterworks performance. In exchange for blogging about their concert going experience, the KSO will provide free tickets and a will host a post-concert reception. I attended the Blogger's night reception last year and it was a blast. If you are an area blogger and have not requested tickets yet, the symphony has a few left. Contact Stephanie Burdette for more information.

Something that struck me when reading the blog posts from last year's bloggers night was the level of anxiety or intimidation that first-time symphony goers experienced. Since I expect (hope!) there will be some symphony newbies attending on Thursday, I thought I'd write a short FAQ to help first time concert-goers know what to expect.

Do I have to wear a tie / ball gown / tux?
Only if you want. Wear what you are comfortable wearing. You will see people in all kinds of attire at the concert from very formal to jeans and a teeshirt. Most people fall somewhere in the middle.

When do I clap?
Tradition says to wait until the entire piece is over before clapping. The pieces we will be playing on Thursday and Friday all have several movements within a single piece. To clap in the “right” place you can either count movements or do what I do and wait for someone else to start clapping before joining in. Even if you clap in the “wrong” place, applause is a show of appreciation and we like to hear it.

Can I take pictures of the orchestra / theater?
Yes, you can take still pictures of the orchestra and theater before the concert starts, at intermission, and at the end of the concert. When the lights go down and the concertmaster walks on stage to start the performance, we request that you stop taking any flash pictures. Video and audio recording are not permitted.

Where can I learn more about the pieces that I will hear?
The KSO posts program notes online. You can read about the pieces you will hear on Thursday here. There is also a pre-concert chat that is free to anyone who is attending the concert. These start at 7:00. I highly recommend attending. They are led by the conductor and really give you a better idea of what to listen to during the performance. When I can sneak out of the house early enough, I like to listen to the pre-concert chat. Even though I've spent the week rehearsing the music, I almost always learn something interesting. The soloist for this concert series, Navah Perlman, will also be participating in the pre-concert chat.

If you have any other questions, please post them in the comments section. I will do my best to answer them for you. I am looking forward to meeting my fellow bloggers at the reception after the concert!

4 comments:

Bro. Byron said...

Yeah, I was one of those timid ones from last year. I could have used your FAQ list! Thankfully, Frank Murphy was there to give me pointers. I'm excited about going again tomorrow night! (I'll be the guy that looks out of place) ;)

KSO blogger Andy said...

I'm glad you are coming back for a second year, Byron! I hope you can stay for the reception.

Boriqua said...

This is very helpful. Thanks so much for posting. It'll help me fit in a bit better than if I went in completely clueless. :)

Angie said...

Katie -- I didn't realize, as I was talking to you last night, that YOU were the one who posted the etiquette! Silly me!

It was so good to get to talk to you last night.

--Angie